Friday, August 23, 2013

Thank God for Pandora



Isaiah 12:5 “Sing praise-songs to God. He’s done it all!
Let the whole earth know what he’s done!
Raise the roof! Sing your hearts out, O Zion!
The Greatest lives among you: The Holy of Israel.”




True Story: I seem to only be able to write anything when I'm listening to music. And it's easy to tell what kind of music I listen to when I write because somehow the genre of music will come out in my writing. Today I decided to listen to my "Jesus Culture" station on Pandora. That's the one that really moves my heart... It has a tendency to take me deeper into worship than most of the other Christian genre stations I listen to. Personal preference is all that is...


Anywho... It has seemed to spark this next entry...


I tossed around a lot of different topic ideas going on in my head, but I think I need this one today. I need it for me... So here is the subject (I think it's going to kick my butt):


Worship.


....


I'm a believer. I believe that the God of the universe sent His son Jesus to Earth to be my teacher, and my savior. He conquered a lot for me, for you.
(Now wait... don't take this post as one of those cliché infomercials for Jesus. He is worth any post fully dedicated to Him, but that's not where this is heading. This is just me building the foundation. I guess softening you and myself up for the... punch in the face... so to speak. Curious?? You should be)


I've, for the better part of my walk with God, been pulled closer to Him and pushed farther away from things that are temporary and not really relevant by music that's pointing to His heart. I started learning to play piano at 13 just so I didn't have to rely on other's music. I wanted to be able to fully engage in that intimate time with God just myself and Him. It worked, too. There has always been something profoundly special about the depth of connection I've been able to make with Him during those passionate and powerful musical connections.


The subject of worship was my first sermon. The first thing I got behind a pulpit and taught about.


Something happened...


That realization that "I'm a believer... He conquered a lot for me..." disappeared. I forgot, or turned my head.


I let worship become a job. If I was being honest (and I think I am) playing keys and singing felt like it was becoming a chore. Monday night practices and extra early Sunday mornings. I felt like my job was more entertainment for others rather than intimate time with God. Don't get me wrong... I knew the words I was singing and I meant them. I sang TO God every Sunday. But, in my experience, true worship is different. When I'm worshiping it's not just me singing to God but Him singing back to me. Healing my broken place, igniting that passion again and again and again, giving me direction.


Worship is deeper.


And I miss the depth.


I want every bit of my focus for practices, Sunday mornings, and quiet worship times at home, to be on The One who conquered a lot for me. I want to tell Him I'm sorry for getting caught up. For being insincere and distracted. But now, when I worship, He says there’s no need. He says to just move forward. That's His song back to me right now.


And that makes me want to worship Him more... and provoke worship in others.


Because He IS conquering a lot in me. I am forever grateful.





How has music, specifically worship changed your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment