Sunday, October 06, 2013

That Time I was Going to Marry Tebow... And that Other Guy



Back in the day- when graduation and first time "real" jobs was the big concerns of my life- I was going to marry Tebow.

Why not?!

He was handsome, had money, a career, and he loved Jesus.

So... I was going to meet him and he was going to see me and realize "That's the girl I've been waiting for."

Laugh all you want but that was my reality. Because that was the "standard." The pinnacle of men-  guess you could say. And I was going to have the best because- well... have you met me?! ;)

And then.... I realized how silly I was. Not because it was impossible... but because OBVIOUSLY there was no history with this guy. I couldn't marry someone that I barely knew for such superficial reasons.

If I was going to be superficial then I at least had to know the guy.

So... there was the other guy.

He had all of the things that were listed above. As far as I could tell at least. And OH. MY. GOODNESS. if I didn't hear from all directions "God SO wants you guys to get married."

How confusing is that?! Honestly, as cool as I'm sure the guy was, he wasn't super friendly to me. I realized quickly that he and I shared something very similar- we both looked at pretty superficial things. And I didn't meet his qualifications.

But people were persistent and encouraged me to keep on waiting because I couldn't do any better. Be "picky" and you'll get the best.

Soon... I woke up- before wasting to much time on "God's" obvious choice.

ALL MY SINGLE LADIES- and gentleman- listen up. (Especially you folks in the church)

The above qualities (handsome, had money, a career) is not our standard. Those aren't our primary guidelines. But those are typically the areas we focus on FIRST and we'll deal with the spiritual side of things later.

God's obvious choice will come in the form of a man with who is "a man after God's heart."

His pursuit isn't money, women, fancy things, or even a career.

His pursuit is chasing and becoming more like the God who loved Him first. And is teaching him to pursue and love others. (Same goes to men looking for a wife)

I am blessed to have married a man that breaks all the molds that were created for and by me.

I saw his heart before I saw anything else. He was passionate about God and humility was part of his DNA.
He never once had to TELL me his character- I could see it. He walked in integrity and with a love that is rarely matched by the "average" man.

He-even though flawed- is such and example of the "manly" side of God.

Here's my point. I saw Jesus when I stopped looking at men. I saw Jesus when I saw Cyler.

I knew- without a shadow of a doubt- He was the man (or type of man) I wanted to marry.

And I lucked out because he IS handsome. He makes good money. He has a career.

But above all- He is a man after God's heart. When all of the above things fail there is no question that I will still choose to be with the man sitting next to me on the couch... because I chose him because he chooses Jesus.

Let's make sure our priorities are straight and we TRULY understand Gods standards in what we should look for in our spouse. Otherwise, we will find that our standards weren't good enough and we will come up short and most likely disappointed.





1 comment:

  1. That's an experience me and the Lord had to work through many years ago too and I thank the Lord every daily for bringing me and Rocky together.

    ReplyDelete