Thursday, September 05, 2013

Is There an AA Group for this Problem?



Okay. Here's the thing. I have TERRIBLE follow through when it comes to projects I start.

I have half way started songs, pictures, art projects, growing my hair out (insert sad face here), even letters to people.

It's a problem. I can admit it.

"Hi, my name is Danielle and sometimes I don't finish what I start."

I hate that I'm like that. And one time I tried to work on it but I didn't follow through with that either. *sigh* See my dilemma.


I've been working on a lot of projects lately though. And I haven't stopped. I just recently finished a drawing of a bird (it was kind of weird looking... I think it had a big butt... Because I like big butts and I cannot lie??).

I also finished a project I was doing with a dresser. It's pretty cool and makes some great and cute extra storage space for the living room. 

I EVEN finished a complete poem. Pretty big accomplishments, if I do say so myself. I'm going to chalk it up to being a wife and all the super powers that come with it.

But, I have some projects that I don't know how to finish.

Let's start with the blog.
I've never stuck with one this long before. Shamefully I think it's only been like 3 weeks. That's my record though. I started a blog once called "Anything But Nothing" and it only had an intro blog and the first post. I wrote them both on the same day. And I Never. Wrote. Another. One.
But this blog... something about it means so much to me. Even if no one reads it (although I'm super thankful you do)it's helping me. And I'm following through even though I can't finish it. It's making follow through look a little bit different to me. Instead of having a starting and a stopping point... I have a journey. My only way of accomplishing anything with it is to keep going.

Never ending follow through.

That's intimidating.

Especially to someone who can't write a dang letter without giving up. (My poor Dad is still waiting on that letter now that I think about it... I should go find it)


I'm honestly trying not to think about it. I don't want to fail at this.

My plan is this: In the process of attempting to follow through with this blog I am giving myself little assignments in the process. Some small and some big.

I have decided to take on the responsibility of providing dinner to our ISM group every Thursday. My goal is to cook for them every week. Last week we had pizza but hey, at least I'm making progress. They still ate.

I am starting some DIY fall projects, too. I may actually post some blogs about what I'm doing in case you'd like to join in.

But... there is one really big project I've started and I'm super nervous to talk about it.

I've started writing a book. I've known it was coming for years and I've started. It's intimidating to say the least. I don't really know what I'm doing or how to finish it. But I'm doing it. It's going to be my biggest follow through test yet. And now that I told you... something inside says I have to finish.

To me, it's the biggest thing I've ever done. To write about my story in a way to inspire others. It's scary to be vulnerable. To open yourself up to criticism of your most trying and/or happy times.

Nevertheless, it's happening.


I will follow through. Because I want to be known as faithful. Even in the small things.



Do you ever struggle with follow through? Are there any projects you're working on that you really want to finish?

No comments:

Post a Comment